How To Cope With Anxiety: My Tips!

Hey guys and girls!

Lately I’ve been struggling a lot with stress and anxiety, and because I know I’m not alone in this stupid anxiety boat I decided to write this post to give you my tips and tricks on how to deal with this.

Anxiety is an horrible feeling. It make us feel trapped, isolated, frustrated and misunderstood. It just sucks balls, am I right? And the worst part is that it gives us physical symptoms as well, tummy ache, racing thoughts, headache, ugh!

Not a long time ago Mr. M, my boyfriend, was driving somewhere and started to feel his chest hurting, his arm numb, and he was sure he was having a stroke at the age of 23. He, who’s usually the most calm person in this whole world, was terrified for his life. After all, it was “just” anxiety, the first time he had an episode. My heart aches for knowing that he too is driving these roads now. So as you can see from this little episode, anxiety can be very physical and despite that, you can have this symptoms after a depression, which is a totally different thing. Anxiety can strike out of the blue uninvited.

So if, like Mike, you are new to this stuff and don’t know how to deal with this, or whether you’re like me, an old friend of this ugly monster and sometimes don’t know how to deal with it, here are my tips which I really, really, really hope will help you coping.

Having a bath

I love baths and this is a great way of relaxation for me. Whether is a bubble bath, a bath bomb, a bath oil, I love to throw it all to the water and enjoy as much I can until someone knocks on the door 🙂

bath

Listen to music

This is my main escape, to be honest. I’m very lucky for having a musician as a boyfriend so whenever I start to feel anxious I turn the music on and listen to him play the cello, or Hans Zimmer (he’s done Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack, Man of Steel, The Dark Knight, Gladiator, Batman vs Superman, and a lot more), I also like to hear Lindsay Stirling, which I’m pretty sure you all know from her YouTube videos, and overall classical music, heavy metal and plain Irish folk rock.

cello

Read

I love reading even if I’m not anxious but I have to admit that if I’m struggling with a panic attack, I find very hard for me to focus on anything. So when the panic attack goes away and I’m left feeling horrible at the end, I enjoy reading. Harry Potter (duh), The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde or anything really. I don’t have a genre! 🙂

Processed with VSCO with hb1 preset

What about physical things Ella?

Well, something that helps me is sitting still and tighten and relax the muscles. But the best one by far is having a massage from someone that you love (after all a professional massage is not realistic for everyone) like your boyfriend, your girlfriend or even a friend you’re super comfortable with and having them talking to you in a soothing voice.

Talking to people is so important for you to feel better, because it allows you to unload everything you’re carrying with you. Having a nice network of supporting people is the best, but if you don’t have one, you can always talk to me.  🙂

Get moving

Doing exercise in a healthy way, not in an obsessive way, like having a routine. It’s common knowledge that excercising is more effective than taking medication for stress and anxiety. So go for a run or ride a bike, or if you’re not very prone to do exercise why not trying Pokémon Go? It is fun and you do a lot of walking whithout even realising it! Last night me and Mike (or Mr. M, whatever you like the most) walked about 3 milles or 5km (depending on your country 🙂 ) and of course we hatched two eggs (because one was half way trough). Just don’t forget to have your eyes on the street instead of your phone and remember to wait for the vibration okay? 🙂

Calm yourself with smooth positive talk

Now I know that this sounds cheesy, but what if it was one of your friends going through anxiety? Or a child? We know how to calm everyone else, so why not talking the exact same way to ourselves? I, for instance, keep repeat for myself “I will get trough this!” and it instantly makes me feel a lot better!

talktoyourself

Diet

Now I don’t mean for you to go on a diet or anything like that, however there are some things that you may be consuming that can cause you to be more anxious, namely caffeine and alcohol. So, if you’re going through times of anxiety, maybe try to cut down the coffee and wine? 🙂

coffee

Control your breathing

Breathing control is very important for you to actually calm down. One thing I always do (I have it recorded on my mind now) is to control it with this gif. Inhale and Exhale calmly.

breath control

and lastly…

Lavender Oil

Lavander is know for it’s calming properties. I have some lavender oil and I split a little on my sheets and on my pillows and it really, really helps me to calm down. Give it a try, you’ll love it!

lavender

I hope that this helped you control anxiety. Remember, you’re not alone in this!! If you need someone to talk you can send me an email to talktoella@ellaivoire.com or go over my Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook (@ellaivoire)! I’m always here for you!

See you guys next time

*hugs*

45 Comments

1. Dreammerin

29 September, 2016 at 15:45

The best solution is just to face the fear…
    Quote: “Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of the future. It is a product of our imagination, causing us to fear things that do not at present and may not ever exist…” – Will Smith

2. ASKSonnie

7 September, 2016 at 14:36

Thanks for the tips. Aside from music and massage, these also help me- a “me” time for reading or listening to bible verses, meditation and prayer and watching just for laughs. If the me time will not work, I need my best buddy to talk to.

3. lastchance3

29 August, 2016 at 16:50

It depends on what triggers it. Some times doing something physical works, others…it’s water.

1. ellaivoire

29 August, 2016 at 20:58

I’m glad there are some things that work for you! xx

4. DecoPix (@TiinaTibs)

26 August, 2016 at 19:35

Great tips! Music helps me in those situations. While I’m listening to music I sort of forget what is surround me. It’s a pretty easy way to calm down.

5. Ana De Jesus

26 August, 2016 at 13:09

I find that writing and listening to music helps me chill and let go of my anxiety effectively. It can be difficult sometimes xx

6. lex

7 August, 2016 at 0:52

listen to music and read, should be the top of the list as these two takes away ones mind from alot of things ANXIETY inclusive. great list.

1. ellaivoire

17 August, 2016 at 11:29

Thanks for stopping by Lex!

7. Anosa

5 August, 2016 at 19:41

These are some really lovely tips Ella.
    I don’t personally suffer from anxiety but I know I could so use these tips in my day-to-day life

1. ellaivoire

17 August, 2016 at 11:30

It’s just a general stress relief, x 🙂

8. Marjorie G.

5 August, 2016 at 2:17

I know the feeling, from time to time I suffer from anxiety too. I’m able to manage it better now that I’m older but it was a lot worse when I was younger. Anyway, my favorite in your list is the booking reading, and yeah also the bath. Those two are really effective for me.

1. ellaivoire

17 August, 2016 at 11:30

Glad that you can control it better now 🙂 xx

9. Wandering JM

4 August, 2016 at 13:59

Great tips to overcomd anxiety. For me, the people around me are ver important. I always speak with someone close to me when anxiety comes. Go out, shop and eat.

1. ellaivoire

17 August, 2016 at 11:31

YEES! 🙂

10. Fuss Free Helen

4 August, 2016 at 9:54

This is such an important post. I think that happily people are now talking more about mental illness but still not enough. I am sorry that you suffer, but thank you for sharing these tips and techniques.

1. ellaivoire

17 August, 2016 at 11:31

Thanks for stopping by Helen! xx

11. Jayne (@SMABLblog)

4 August, 2016 at 8:15

Fab tips!
    Anxiety is such a horrid thing to experience, I’m sure this will be very useful to others who suffer 🙂 x

12. Zwitsy

3 August, 2016 at 23:11

I am not sure if it can be avoided but whenever I feel it, I always pray. That’s the least I can do which so far is really effective. On the other hand, I tried some of the things you mentioned here such as listening to music and indeed it diverts!

13. Nya

3 August, 2016 at 19:47

Coming from someone suffering from anxiety, I can confirm that these are all great tips! The sad thing is that this type of thing is something that accompanies you through life, and so the only way is really trying to minimize the impact that can have on your life’s quality as much as possible. I have now learnt to control it the best I can, and not let it come on the way of me enjoying things.
    Great post:)

14. fashionandstylepolice

3 August, 2016 at 13:14

Great tips. Breathing does help with anxiety. I am happy I don’t have to deal with it though.

15. RaisieBay

3 August, 2016 at 10:18

Anxiety is a horrible thing to suffer from, this is a great guide for ways of how to deal with it. I’ll share your post x

16. Kara AWNTY

3 August, 2016 at 7:49

I find that exercise really helps and normally head for a brisk walk along the beach if I am struggling

17. rowenarose

3 August, 2016 at 0:17

I had my share of anxiety attack and I always fight it by being positive and moving forward. The only person who can fight it is yourself and doing your tips can ease the feeling.

18. Lilinha Espindula

2 August, 2016 at 22:04

Great tips! I like having a bath, a cup of tea and going for a walk when I’m feeling anxious. It also helps to talk about it with someone that you trust! 🙂

19. Dean B

2 August, 2016 at 20:42

Having a lovely hot bath does help perk me up too and also listening to music 🙂 Love the smell of lavender too 🙂

20. Stacey

2 August, 2016 at 18:13

Thank you so much for sharing these! I too suffer with anxiety and do sometimes struggle with finding coping strategies that work so these suggestions are great – I’ll definitely try some of these soon! I also find that slowly rubbing my hands in sanitizer helps to distract me and calm my breathing when I’m having a panic attack – just a little tip that I hope you find useful! x

1. ellaivoire

17 August, 2016 at 11:33

Rubbing hands in sanitizer, I know the drill hehe! Thanks for stopping by doll! xx

21. Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)

2 August, 2016 at 17:11

Fab tips. I’ve been noticing the diet one lately; I definitely feel more anxious if I have a lot of caffeine.

22. joannavictoria

2 August, 2016 at 16:33

Great tips I suffer from anxiety and do most of these and they really do help.

23. Fenrile

2 August, 2016 at 14:06

I never had an anxiety episodes like your boyfriend had. I had depression though or very stressful moments and some of your tips were helpful. My dad on the other hand has really often anxiety episodes and doesn’t know how to handle them. He’s sure it’s some important medical troubles like heart or brain. Even though he ran every tests possible and there’s nothing. But I’ll definitely swipe him some ideas you shared to help and hopefully something will work to calm him down after an episode

24. Dominic Barrios

2 August, 2016 at 11:40

When I’m hit with anxiety, I just drink a lot of water, or eat. It helps a lot too when I do pocket prayers where I just whisper and ask for God’s help whenever, wherever. Massage was one of my favorite vices before but it’s really expensive so I ask my wife for a backrub na lang. It still helps. Drinking Coffee on a quiet room is one of my past time too when i want to sort my mind.

25. yogoandcream

2 August, 2016 at 7:02

Great ideas you have here for coping anxiety. I still personally haven’t experienced anxiety yet. However, I experience stress. I think it helps when we share it with someone. Or we can go to a spa. Just recently, we did Japanese body therapy which relieved us of both pain and stress. We’ll be sharing about our experience soon. -Me-An Clemente

26. Teresa Dumadag

2 August, 2016 at 6:59

Reading always gets me calmed down, especially when I read inspiring books. I like going back to highlighted portions of previous books read to remind me of truths that can help me deal with my anxiety. This usually leads to a positive self-talk afterwards. Next to these two, music often sets my mood.

27. Milton Coyne

1 August, 2016 at 14:24

I have an anxiety disorder so I deal with this almost everyday… I always have that depressing moment and it arrives to me for no reason and in unexpected time… I do agree with most of the list here especially the music.. listening to good music relaxes me and sets my mood right..
    thanks for sharing

28. jayresa03

1 August, 2016 at 13:50

My technique is walking. I always walk and walk and walk, no matter how long it is and when I feel tired, I stop. Only then I will realize that the tiredness overlapped my anxiety already.I think it’s always been effective for me. And reading too!

29. Dynamic Bohemian

1 August, 2016 at 11:14

lavender oil is awesome ! great tips for anyone ♡ dynamicbohemian.com

30. ROBERT LEE

1 August, 2016 at 9:44

Anxiety can be a physiological thing or mental. The best way to deal with it is to realize that one has anxiety and to be intentional in coping and getting out of it. This is an excellent post and you have provided solid tips and ways to cope. I especially like the part where you talk to people and watching food.

Further if I may, here are some info on anxiety pertaining to foods and nutrients:

31. sherina shamdasani

31 July, 2016 at 16:11

Nice tips!! Positive talk is my fav. tip ! I think it is so useful to speak to yourself (with your internal dialogue) ! 😀

32. Ree

31 July, 2016 at 14:00

What a brilliant post! Very positive and inspiring. I really think exercise and diet are so important not just physically but mentally as well. I loved your post 😄 Ree Love30

33. Amy | Toothbrush Travels

31 July, 2016 at 12:49

Thai GIF is so relaxing to look at!
    Anxiety sucks and i have so much admiration for the people who find strength despite it xo

34. Thuli Mac

31 July, 2016 at 12:18

Working out definitely does it for me and I always finish off rejuvinated and stress free!

35. Tshegofatso

31 July, 2016 at 11:55

This is a great post and I think many will find it helpful. I also turn to music when feeling anxious.

36. Sarah

31 July, 2016 at 11:53

Great tips! I suffer from anxiety as well, and some of these things have really helped me in the past. I stopped drinking coffee a couple of months ago, and noticed that I was generally way more relaxed. I only have a shower in my current apartment, but I totally need a bath tub in my next place. It’s so nice and calming to just lay in the water and maybe read a book meanwhile as well 🙂

37. watchmeblather

31 July, 2016 at 11:53

I’ve found that the best way to pull me out of an anxious episode (if i’m with someone) is to have them talk to me and take me away from the situation causing my panic attack. if i’m alone it’s harder but i find music a godsend, i also try to ensure that i know my triggers; not always possible but it helps 🙂

38. Jasmin N

31 July, 2016 at 11:49

Loved these tips! So useful. I’m suffering from anxiety as well so this might get handy later when I’m feeling down and a bit lost again.

♥: Jasmin N

Share your ideas, leave a comment!

Scroll Up